Kale is a leafy vegetable “superfood” that is more popular than ever, and it’s here to stay. Packed with several nutrients and vitamins, Kale is among the top contenders of healthy greens. It can come in many different shapes, sizes, and flavor, all of which are nutritious and delicious! Let’s dive a little deeper into the benefits of kale and different ways it can be prepared.
Kale packs a powerful punch when it comes to nutrition and flavor! A one-cup serving of chopped kale contains:
- Only 33 calories! This is a great place to start if you are trying to keep track of your daily calorie intake!
- Almost 10% of your daily potassium! This is almost as much as a banana, which is known as being a high potassium food! Potassium has been linked to improving blood pressure, heart beat rhythm, and cholesterol levels.
- 134% the recommended daily dose of vitamin C. This is more that an orange, which is boasted as being one of the best sources of vitamin C. Vitamin C may include protection against cardiovascular disease, immune system deficiencies, prenatal health problems, and eye disease.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin give kale its dark green coloring and help protect against macular degeneration and cataracts!
- 133% the recommended daily dose of vitamin A. Vitamin has been known to help vision, heart, and kidney function.
- 684% of your daily vitamin K! Yes, you read that correctly. Vitamin K plays a role in helping the blood clot, preventing excessive bleeding.
Ways to Prepare Kale
Whether it’s used as a featured item or a smaller ingredient of your entree, there are many ways to serve kale. Here are just a few of our favorites:
- Whip up a kale salad. Prepare a salad, as you normally would, but instead of using iceberg or romaine lettuce, substitute in some fresh kale! The nutritional value will be instantly increased! Be mindful, however, of what else goes into your salad. Often times a salads nutrition is negated by the extra cheese, croutons, and dressing that gets added.
- Bake some kale chips. This is one of our favorite healthy snacks as it packs all the nutrients of kale, but gives the texture and ease of a familiar snack -- the chip. Sub out the potato chips for kale chips and save yourself from a load of unnecessary fat and calories. Season them before throwing them in the oven for extra flavor and appeal!
- Mix it into some soup. A broth-based soup is generally already healthy. To take your soups nutrition to the next level, try cutting up some kale and drop it into the pot while cooking.
- Mix it into a hamburger. Next time you fire up the grill, chop up kale and mix it into your burger patties. The kale will add a new flavor to your burger, but also increase the nutritional value greatly! This is a great way to sneak a serving of veggies into your meal!
- Blend it into a smoothie. This may be outside of your comfort zone, but we encourage you to give it a shot! Next time you are in the mood for a morning smoothie, throw in some strawberries, a banana, nonfat milk, and a little bit of kale. The fruit will mask the kale to the point where you will forget you are consuming a serving of vegetables!
So does kale hold up to the hype? Absolutely. With how versatile it is, we are certain that you will find a few ways to enjoy kale often! Its nutritional value should not be overlooked, as it’s a great source of vitamins and minerals to help balance your meals and leave you feeling satisfied.
In addition to all the benefits we’ve already discussed, kale can help give your metabolism a boost! To help improve your metabolism even more, we recommend checking out 7-Keto®. 7-Keto® is a metabolite that has been extensively studied in animals and humans for various benefits including weight, metabolic rate, memory and others!Read More