Cycling is one of the world’s most popular cardiovascular activities! With many different variations such as trail riding, mountain biking, commuting, touring, or racing, cycling has a wide range of appeal to people of all ages and fitness levels. There are many great reasons to consider adding cycling to your repertoire of physical activities! Let’s take a look at 6 reasons you should be cycling!
- Excellent cardiovascular activity. The Centers of Disease Control (CDC) recommends a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate, or 75 minutes of intense cardio activity per week to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Studies have shown that regular cardio activity can help improve your organ function, immune system, sleep patterns, energy level, and overall mood.
- Relatively low impact. Depending on the type of cycling you are performing, the impact on your joints is significantly lower than activities like running. This makes cycling a great option for people who wish to support their joint comfort.
- Great for all ages and fitness levels. Because of its versatility, cycling is a fun sport for people of all ages and fitness levels. The good news about this sport is you don’t need to be a seasoned professional to reap the benefits!
- Fun family activity. Learning to ride a bike is a favorite memory for many people! Going for a leisurely ride on a nice evening is a great way to get the whole family, young and old, together for a fun physical activity. It’s also a great chance to chat and bond with each other!
- Great way to commute. If you live within a few miles of your workplace, cycling is a great option to sneak in physical activity, while also cutting down on fuel cost, and possibly saving yourself from the headache of sitting in traffic!
- Explore the city when you’re on vacation or even your hometown! When traveling by bicycle, it gives you a chance to truly explore and see your surroundings, that you may otherwise not notice when you’re traveling by car.
What to keep in mind
With any drastic change to diet or exercise routines, we always recommend consulting with your physician first. Once you know you are good to go for cardiovascular activity, here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing cycling.
Stay visible, stay safe. When heading out for a ride, it’s important to keep a few safety precautions in mind.
○ Wear bright colors so you are easily visible.
○ Ride on the same side of the road as traffic.
○ Obey traffic laws.
○ Use hand signals when turning.
○ Always wear a helmet.
Wear appropriate attire. Keep in mind the weather conditions as you plan your ride. We recommend wearing athletic apparel because it helps wick moisture away and allows for proper ventilation. Dress accordingly for climate conditions, and check the forecast before you leave for an extended period of time.
Keep hydrated and nourished. It’s important during all physical activity to keep yourself hydrated and nourished. This is especially true when cycling away from your home. Pack a water bottle (or 2), along with a few handfuls of nuts to bring with you on your journey.
Choose the right bike & tires. Depending on the type of cycling you are doing, you may require different equipment. This can get spendy if you are planning to make cycling a part of your fitness routine, but it can make a world of difference!
To Sum It All Up
No matter your age or physical fitness level, there are many benefits to cycling! It’s a great way to engage multiple muscle groups with the added stress and impact on your joints! When planning your fitness goals, it’s important to keep things like joint health in mind! This is why we recommend UC-II®. UC-II® consists of undenatured type II collagen that supports joint comfort, flexibility and mobility. New randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study was conducted on healthy subjects. UC-II® provided significant results compared to placebo in increasing joint function!