Breakfast is an important meal but is often skipped or substituted for unhealthy options. Don’t let a busy schedule derail your healthy fitness goals! You can have a flavorful, filling, and nutritious breakfast without all the fuss in the morning. Simply incorporate the following easy and healthy breakfasts you can make the day before.
Oat Bran Muffins. Oat bran is an amazing alternative to wheat flour that is full of fiber, protein, and nutrients. It’s full, nutty flavor is recommended for baking healthy foods such as breakfast muffins. Bran muffins keep you full and satisfied until your next meal, and they taste great! You can add fruit and nuts for extra nutrition and flavor as well. There are several recipes out there to choose from. Find your favorite, making sure to avoid added flours, saturated fats, and sugar.
Homemade Cereal Bars. When you’re busy in the mornings rushing kids off to school or preparing for an early morning meeting, a quick pre-made breakfast can make everything that much smoother. Homemade cereal bars are a healthy option that are easy to make. Why settle for sugary, un-filling store-bought bars when you can make your own healthy ones at home? Here is the foundation of a cereal bar recipe:
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup almond or peanut butter
- 2 cups whole grain cereal flakes
- 2 cups whole grain cereal O’s
- Small handful of your favorite dried fruit.
Heat honey and butter in a non-stick saucepan, continually stirring. Add cereal flakes and O’s, stirring to combine. Turn off heat. Add dried fruit and stir. Pour into greased pan and chill until hardened. Cut into bars, wrap with wax or parchment paper and you’re all set! Feel free to add dark chocolate chips, chopped nuts and spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg for extra flavor.
Quiche. For a savory and filling breakfast you can make the day before, quiche is a classic. With endless healthy options, you can really make a quiche that suits your needs for a quick and easy breakfast. Opt for a crustless quiche to avoid extra refined carbohydrates and to optimize the nutritional benefit of quiches. Also, avoid adding too much cheese to your quiche. A little low-fat cheese is a good choice for added protein and flavor. Find your favorite recipe and enjoy a quick breakfast in the morning! You can reheat a slice of quiche or eat it cold, whichever you prefer.
Steel Cut Oatmeal. You simply cannot go wrong with steel cut oatmeal in the morning. Full of fiber, protein, and many nutrients, oatmeal is a healthy choice. Though it can take a long time to cook from scratch in the morning, we have a couple tricks you can do the day before to ensure a tasty oatmeal breakfast.
- Slow Cooker Oats: Coat the slow cooker with butter to prevent a sticky mess then add the appropriate amount of oats and liquid per the container instructions. For additional nutrition and flavor, substitute coconut or almond milk for water. You’ll have a creamy and tasty oatmeal breakfast! Toss in dried cranberries and a sprinkling of cinnamon and salt for additional flavor. Yum!
- Refrigerator Oats: For a cold oatmeal option, overnight refrigerator oats is a good choice. In a glass jar, add your oats and liquid, reducing liquid slightly to avoid excess. Add spices and substitute coconut or almond milk for water for a creamier flavor and consistency. Adding a small amount of mashed banana, berries, or pumpkin puree are all nutritional options. Shake contents in the sealed glass jar and let sit in the refrigerator overnight. Enjoy!
A healthy breakfast is the foundation of an effective fitness plan. Along with a healthy diet and exercise program, you are on a good path towards weight loss. If you are looking for additional support on your fitness journey, consider adding Meratrim® supplements to your regimen. Safe and effective, Meratrim® has been clinically shown to improve weight loss results!