We all know that limiting sugar is important for a healthy lifestyle and effective weight loss. Did you know that sugary drinks are specifically related to weight gain? Beverages like soda, unnatural fruit juices, sweetened teas, energy drinks, and workout drinks are often loaded with calories and carbohydrates, and they typically have little nutritional value. Here are six reasons to avoid sugary beverages:
- Today, Americans consume three hundred more calories each day than we did thirty years ago. A majority of those extra calories can be attributed to sweetened drinks. Cut sugary beverages from your diet, and you’ll be surprised at how quickly you will notice results in your fitness regime.
- An overload of sugary beverages can lead to insulin resistance, which is the main cause of metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome leads to type 4 diabetes and heart disease. A sugary soda simply isn’t worth developing a lifelong disease.
- Sugary beverages, such as soda, do not add anything beneficial to one’s diet. Soda is a completely empty calorie. There are no vitamins, no minerals, no antioxidants, no nutrients. It is simply sugar and heavily processed ingredients. One twelve ounce can of soda is equivalent to ten tablespoons of sugar. The thought of consuming ten tablespoons of sugar in one sitting probably doesn't sound appealing!
- Soda and sugary beverages are addicting. Quitting sugary drinks is hard. It takes persistence. Sugar causes a dopamine release in the brain, which is pleasurable. Our brain seeks our pleasurable experience. This is why people become addicted to drugs like cocaine. We can become addicted to sugary beverages in the same way.
- Sugary beverages are the biggest enemy to your teeth. Your oral health is greatly and negatively impacted by sodas and sugary beverages. Plus, many sugary drinks are also acidic, which make your teeth vulnerable to decay and erosion.
- Sugar consumption is also linked to an increased risk of dementia. Dementia occurs as we age, and the most common form of dementia is Alzheimer’s disease. Research states that dementia is associated with blood sugar levels, and people who regularly consume sugary drinks are more likely to have high blood sugar. These higher blood sugar levels can increase their risk of dementia.
Hopefully, these six reasons to avoid sugary drinks and soda have been helpful to better understanding the drastic negative effects that soda can have on your body! Sugary drinks can be a hindrance to a successful weight loss program. Avoid them altogether to improve your mental and physical health. You won’t regret it! For extra support on your weight loss journey, consider implementing a supplement that includes Gymnema Extract. Gymnema is an all natural ingredient that can help regulate healthy blood sugar levels and reduce sugar cravings.