Winter is coming! And in some areas, it has already arrived. There’s nothing better than getting warm from the inside-out after throwing a football around outside with friends or hunting down your Christmas tree, and a tasty soup does just that! But let’s go one step further by finding healthy soup recipes that incorporate your favorite greens and might also be a way to recycle some holiday leftovers.
Here are 3 tasty and healthy soup recipes you need to try this winter:
- Carrots, Broccoli, and Mushrooms - Oh My!
- Ingredients: 1-½ tsp olive oil, 1 sweet onion (diced), 2 cloves garlic (minced), 3 cups mushroom (sliced), 1 cup carrots (chopped), 2 cups broccoli (chopped), sea salt and black pepper, 2 tsp ginger, ½ tsp tumeric, 2 tsp cumin, ⅛ tsp cinnamon, 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Method: Use oil to saute onion and garlic (5 min). Then add other vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Add spices to taste. Finally, add the vegetable mixture to the broth and heat on medium until tender (20 min).
- Use: Great for a small family meal. Packed with vitamins and energy-boosters. Experiment with various favorite vegetables to see what you enjoy best!
- Turkey and Brown Rice
- Ingredients: leftover turkey, ½ diced onion, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 chopped carrot, 1/2 large diced zucchini, 1/2 cup corn kernels, 2 stalks sliced celery, 1/3 cup brown rice, 2 bay leaves, 2 cloves crushed garlic, oregano, paprika, ¼ chilli paste or chopped, to taste, 3 cups chicken stock, salt reduced, 1 cup water
- Method: Shred your leftover turkey and set aside. Saute your veggies in the oil, starting with the onion and adding the rest after 5 minutes. Sprinkle the spices. Add the mixture to the stock and water. Then add the brown rice, stirring on occasion to ensure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Simmer until the rice is tender before adding the turkey.
- Use: This one is hearty, quick and easy, and makes use of some Thanksgiving leftovers. It’s low fat, low sugar, and low sodium. Plus, it’s high in protein and dairy-free!
- Zucchini and Cauliflower
- Ingredients: 1 sliced leek, 2 large chopped zucchinis, ½ head of chopped cauliflower, 2 cloves crushed garlic, 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock, 1 tsp dijon mustard, oregano, 1 tbsp olive oil, pepper
- Method: Saute the leek on low heat for 5 minutes before adding the rest of the greens and turning up to medium heat. Adding seasoning, including the dijon mustard. Add stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, blend until smooth, and serve.
- Use: Simple and nutritious - you really can’t go wrong! Mix things up with broccoli instead of cauliflower if you prefer the taste.
Along with healthy meals, add a health supplement with LOWAT® into your regular diet. It’s an all-natural ingredient that can boost your health and help you manage your weight. Treat yourself this winter by trying a LOWAT® product - start today!