It's no secret that people need to get up and moving. Engaging in regular physical activity provides you with a host of mental and physical benefits, from a better immune system to a happier mood, less chance of injury, maintaining a healthy weight and less joint pain.
Even so, it can be quite challenging to figure out what exercises to do in order to become stronger, whether you're at home or at the gym. Luckily, Women's Health magazine has suggested five must-do exercises that you should incorporate into your fitness routine in order to gain strength, lose weight and improve joint health:
Chances are you've heard about how great planks are more than once. It's true because they work not only your core but your upper and lower body They also strengthen stabilizer muscles, which improve balance and help reduce the risk of injuries. To do a traditional plank:
- Start on your hands and knees
- Push your knees of the floor so you're on your toes (like the start of a push-up)
- Make sure your wrists are under your elbows and squeeze your abs
- Hold for 30 seconds to start, then work your way up to 60 seconds as you improve
People often focus on the muscles along the front of their body but forget about the ones in back, which can create an imbalance. To counter this, be sure to work your back muscles with rows.
- Hold two 5- to 8-pound dumbbells in each hand, standing with your feet at hip distance
- Pull your elbows straight back and squeeze your shoulder blades together
- Return to the start and repeat 10 more times
It's important to not only work the front abs but the side abs, or obliques.
- Hold one 8-pound weight in both hands
- Lift the weight over your right shoulder, then slice it across toward your left foot
- Return to the start and repeat 10 times on each side
Your leg muscles are some of the biggest in your body, so it's helpful to add extra weight in order to really challenge them.
- Stand with your feet hip-distance apart with a 10-pound weight in each hand
- Bend your knees like you're sitting back in a chair until you're at 90 degrees
- Push through your heels to the start and repeat 12 times
It's also necessary to work the muscles along the inside and outside of your legs in order to maintain stability and balance.
- Stand with your right foot next to a step bench
- Place your right foot on the bench and step up, tapping your left toe, then step both feet to the floor
- Repeat 10 times on the right foot then switch to the left
In addition to performing these exercises, you can take a supplement such as Super Citrimax®, which contains Garcinia cambogia and has been scientifically studied to help you attain your fitness goals of losing or maintaining your weight.