Approximately 28 million Americans are affected by type 2 diabetes. Another 86 million have what is known as prediabetes which is the state which can progress to type 2 if not addressed properly by a change of lifestyle and eating habits. Fortunately, prevention, management, and (in some cases) reversal of the condition are all possible through a series of very simple changes to habit and diet.
Your clients look to you for health insights, facts, and ways to avoid conditions like this. Whether they are concerned about prediabetes or simply want to improve their overall health, here are five great tips you can give them!
- Incorporate More Fiber - Studies have shown that people who eat 2-3 servings of fiber-rich foods each day were almost 30% less likely to develop type 2 diabetes than those who ate less. Fiber-rich food includes produce like apples and whole grains. No wonder an apple a day keeps the doctor away. It’s a great start to improve your health!
- Limit Your Cocktails - A glass of wine (especially red wine) at the end of the day isn’t a bad thing. However, multiple drinks on a regular basis can lead down a path to increased weight and insulin resistance. Replace your “reward” end-of-day drink with a warm cup of herbal tea.
- Rely on Magnesium - More and more evidence has suggested that a diet high in minerals could reduce the chance of diabetes. Throw foods like spinach, beans, and nuts into your weekly meal plan.
- Cut Carbs and Sweets - This is a positive tip for anyone trying to improve your personal health and wellness, but especially if you are diagnosed with prediabetes. Try replacing a few meal components with equally tasty alternatives. EX: Swap out spaghetti with zucchini noodles or PB&J with PB-apple sandwiches.
- Fat is Your Friend - This comes as a shock to many people, but there are actually good fats, like omega-3 and monounsaturated fats. They act as a buffer to blood sugar spikes from meals and snacks by slowing the body’s absorption of carbohydrates. And did we mention that they also improve cholesterol and cardiovascular health?
If your clients incorporate these few easy steps, they’ll be well on their way to freedom from prediabetes. And to put up an even tougher fight, suggest adding a supplement that uses the ingredient ChromeMate® into their diet and exercise plan. ChromeMate® increases the effectiveness of the mineral chromium, and as with the minerals listed above, that’s a great advantage to regulating blood sugar levels!