The sun is rising, the weather is warm, and you’re ready to spend the weekend bummin’ at the beach. You don’t need to compromise your fitness and workout to lay out. Try these great workouts you can do at the beach! Bring your family or your fitness friends and try out these 3 activities for fitness fun under the sun.
1) Sand Sprints
- An incredible resource at the beach is the sand. Sand is natural resistance. Simply walking in the sand is more challenging than walking on the grass or the sidewalk. Use the sand to your advantage. Try running short sprints in the sand. You will have a great sweat going before you know it!
- There is nothing more refreshing than a slight breeze off the water and the sun shining on your face while you practice your favorite yoga poses and stretches. Bring your yoga mat, a towel, or simply practice your poses in the beachy sand. You will find that balancing in the sand adds a new element to your traditional poses, so you will be able to activate more muscles throughout your workout.
3) Beach Volleyball
- Does your public beach have a volleyball court? If so, utilize it! Bring friends out the beach for a competitive day of beach volleyball. Maybe the losing team runs sprints? If your public beach doesn’t have an accessible, sandy volleyball court, you can bring your own net and ball and set up a court for the day!
While you exercise outside at the beach, be sure to take the necessary safety precautions to protect you from the elements.
- Apply water resistant sunscreen. Water resistant sunscreen is less likely to sweat off during your workout. After 40 minutes, reapply your sunscreen.
- Wear shoes. It can be tempting to work out barefoot, but wearing shoes in the sand will give your feet much needed support. Going barefoot can cause foot fatigue and potentially strained muscles after y
- Bring water. You’re likely to sweat more while working out under the sun. Depending on the temperature and time of day be sure to have enough water to replenish your body. A banana for potassium is a good idea too!
- Go for a post-workout dip! The cool water after a workout will help soothe your muscles and quicken your recovery time. It’s a great added benefit of working out at the beach.
With summer here, you’ll be able to get out and enjoy beach workouts more frequently. For extra support in workout recovery and muscle building, try using a suitable supplement that contains ZMA® from InterHealth. ZMA® promotes healthy, and quick muscle recovery and can help you take your workout to the next level. Learn more InterHealth ingredients and how to purchase them here.