Aging brings about a number of changes in the human body. Many times, people focus on the largest physical changes and how to protect the body from those changes: grey hair, wrinkles, etc. But what about the changes that are not seen? It’s just as important to protect the internal skeletal, muscular, and other structures; that includes the brain!
There’s no miracle food to keep your brain sharp and young, but what you put into your mouth does play a large part in the functional longevity of your many organs and muscles. Next time you reach for a snack or plan a family meal, incorporate one of these brain foods!
- Berries - In a recent study, women who ate berries showed a smaller and slower decline in memory and attention than those who didn’t. This is attributed largely to the high antioxidant level, ramping up blood and oxygen flow to the brain. They also reduce the risk of cancer and have the benefit of fighting signs of aging such as wrinkles.
- Avocado - Avocados have monosaturated fats that also increase blood flow to the brain (as well as the rest of the body). This healthy fat is good for helping the whole body feel younger!
- Carrots - Inflammation in the brain can lead to cognitive decline and memory loss. Foods like carrots, bell peppers, and celery contain luteolin which reduce any occurrence of inflammation.
- Eggs - Egg yolk contains a substance called choline, a precursor for the production of a certain neurotransmitter (brain chemical). It helps prevent changes in brain chemistry that lead to reduced cognitive function.
- Salmon - Fish are high in omega-3 fatty acids and are a protein superfood, fighting inflammation and reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s. Fatty acids also improve object recognition memory and spatial memory.
- Tea - You can drink this antioxidant-rich “superfood” or opt for cranberry juice. Either beverage has health benefits to both body and brain function.
Want a bigger health boost to counteract aging? Look for health supplements and products with the ingredient UC-II®. UC-II® is a dietary supplement ingredient that works for optimal joint health, maximizing flexibility and mobility at any age.
To learn about other ingredients with amazing health benefits, contact InterHealth at firstname.lastname@example.org.