In America, July 4th is known as Independence Day, but it is also famous for fireworks and grilling delicious food with friends and family. For people who are striving for a healthier lifestyle, the idea of grilling a big meal while staying on track can sound like a challenge. The good news is that there are plenty of healthy options for you to throw on the grill! Here are a few of our favorites.
- Grilled Chicken. Grab your favorite seasoning and throw a few chicken breasts on the grill. When correctly prepared, grilled chicken can be a healthy source of lean protein which is great for filling you up and giving you energy for the rest of your holiday plans.
- Parmesan Green Beans. For a delicious side dish to your grilling entree, skip the potato chips and try grilling up some parmesan green beans! Simply lay out a sheet of tin foil, spread a thin layer of olive oil, place a serving of green beans on the sheet, lightly sprinkle with garlic and parmesan cheese. Completely wrap the serving of green beans in tin foil and cook with low or indirect heat. This same recipe works with asparagus as well!
- Shrimp Skewers. Who doesn’t love a good skewer off the grill? Stick a few shrimp on a skewer with some slices of lemon for a delicious and classy entree that’s as easy to eat as it is to cook. Looking for a different flavor? Try lightly adding some tangy barbecue sauce before cooking on the grill. Just make sure you have enough of these to go around. It’s a popular item!
- Chicken Fajita Skewers. For the people at your gathering that may not prefer shrimp, a chicken fajita skewer is a delicious option. Cut up a chicken breast into bite-sized pieces, put them on a skewer with the same sized pieces of onion and bell peppers, and throw them on the grill.
- Grilled Flatbread Pizza. Think outside the box and toss a flatbread pizza onto the grill. Use a healthy, whole wheat flatbread or tortilla, and lightly add olive oil before topping with veggies, garlic, and a small pinch of mozzarella cheese. Grill with a low heat to ensure that you don’t overcook the crust.
- Black Bean Burger. A black bean burger is an excellent way to get your burger fix while cutting out a handful of calories, fat, and cholesterol. They also tend to take far less time to grill!
- Spices Over Condiments. Healthy foods are often negated by all the toppings and sauces that get added. Instead of high-calorie condiments, opt for flavoring your food with natural flavor. Spices pack delicious flavor without going overboard with calories!
Instead of reaching for the standard hot dogs and hamburgers, we encourage you to try a few of these healthier, and still very delicious options. Your taste buds and stomach will be happy, and you can feel good about opting for healthier foods. If you’re trying to lose weight and strive for a healthier lifestyle, we encourage you to try Meratrim®. Learn more about how you could be seeing weight loss results in as little as two weeks on our website, or by calling 1-800-783-4636.