The holiday season is fast approaching, which means holiday parties and gatherings. Nearly all holiday gatherings are centered around food, desserts, and sweet beverages. It can be hard to resist the temptation. Don’t fall back into old habits! You’ve been working hard to live a healthy lifestyle and nurture your body with healthy food. With the following six tips, you can make healthy choices throughout the holiday season and motivate others along the way.
Prepare for the event.
When you go to a holiday event where you know there will be only unhealthy, sugary options, prepare for the event beforehand. Plan to have a filling snack before you go to the social gathering.
- A bowl of oatmeal with coconut oil, berries, and chia seeds is a very satiating meal and will keep you feeling full for hours.
- Fry a couple of eggs over-easy. The healthy fats in the yolk will help you feel full during the event. You will be less likely to snack on treats and junk food.
Bring a snack to the event. You may feel odd at first, bringing food to an event with food. Do it anyway. You’ll be grateful to have a healthful snack to much on, rather than high calorie, sugary foods.
- One great snack to bring is homemade trail mix! Mix your favorite nuts, seeds, and dried fruits for a filling snack.
- You can also bring homemade energy bites that are packed with protein. Delicious!
Practice portion control.
Once you’re at the event, it is important to practice portion control. Our eyes are often bigger than our stomach. Know how much you need to eat and don’t dish more than that.
- Take larger portions of protein and vegetables if you are feeling particularly hungry.
- Avoid going back for seconds. It can be tempting to take a second round of food, but wait at least thirty minutes for your first helping to settle. You will feel satisfied and not overstuffed.
- Do not drink sugary beverages. Try to stick with water for the evening or at least limit your intake of sweet beverages.
- Avoid the dessert table entirely. When it comes time for dessert, politely decline and then find time to eat the snack you brought with you.
Focus on the people around you.
At a gathering, there are people to see and conversations to participate in. Focus on those aspects of the party rather than the food or drinks. You will have a better time enjoying the company of others.
With these tips, you’ll be able to have a happy holiday season. You will not feel overstuffed and you will feel energized by your healthy food choices! For extra support on your weight loss journey, consider implementing a suitable supplement that contains Meratrim® from InterHealth. Meratrim® has been shown to help people reach their weight management goals!