For guys, the optimal exercise routine would include cardio in the morning and weight training in the evening. But because there’s a limited time in the day, efficiency becomes a key to working out. Usually, weight training takes precedence and cardio disappears. Fortunately, there are several ways you can boost your cardio output without adding a lot of extra time to your weight training circuit. Incidentally, cardio also boosts the muscle-building results of weight training. So by adopting these sneaky cardio boosts, you are being super efficient and effective simultaneously!
Consider these five sneaky cardio boosts for men:
- Kettlebell Toss - Whether it’s a lower or upper body day, this cardio move simultaneously works your lower back, hips, glutes, and shoulders. It also gets your heart-rate into peak performance zone. With your back in neutral, lower into a squat and hold a weight with both hands between your legs. As you stand, swing the weight straight out in front of you as if you are tossing it. Repeat 15-20 times between sets, aiming for a total of 200 reps.
- Rowing - A row machine is fast and efficient at burning off unwanted calories, in addition to working all of your major muscle groups. A 200m sprint usually takes under one minute, perfect for fitting in between other exercises. Use this equipment no more than 10 times in a single workout to keep your body from becoming too exhausted to finish other exercises.
- Jumping Rope - The repeated jumping works your lower legs while keeping your upper leg muscles fresh for weight training. It also improves coordination, balance, and overall conditioning. A total of 50-100 reps throughout your workout should do it.
- Burpee - Become familiar with this move, as it can be utilized anywhere at any time (no equipment required). It’s also easier on your muscles and specifically geared to increase heart rate, leaving you ready to make the most of your next tough set of reps.
- Jumping Jacks - As another great equipment-free cardio boost, jumping jacks are sometimes overlooked. To make them work for you and your goals, insert a 30-second session everywhere you feel your heart rate might otherwise drop in a workout.