The new year is upon us and for many people that means setting resolutions. Studies show that about 40% of Americans set New Years resolutions, and of those people only 8% follow through. Making fitness resolutions for the new year can be a fun way to set goals to better your health and overall lifestyle, but staying the course can sometimes pose a challenge. We have gathered a few tips and tricks that are backed by research to help you set and stick to realistic goals for the new year.
- Set smaller, short term goals when you are planning your fitness resolutions. When you set smaller milestones, you are more likely to hit the mark because it’s much more manageable. When you achieve small goals you will feel motivated and inspired to hit keep going! For example, if you are hoping to lose 20 lbs, start with a small goal of losing 1 lb per week.
- Pair up with a family member or friend with similar goals and mindset. You can help keep each other motivated and hold each other accountable in striving toward a fitness goal. Set a time each week to talk or meet up and discuss your progress, or even join each other at the gym! Having someone by your side will help push you to stay the course!
- Share your goals with your friends! You’d be surprised how supportive your friends can be. Take your progress to social media when you are seeking a little extra motivation. Studies show that we are more likely to push ourselves to succeed if we talk about our goals.
- Celebrate victories, no matter how big or small! Perhaps you swam 20 laps for the first time without stopping, or you ran your first 5k. Every milestone is worthy of celebrating! Pat yourself on the back and pay attention to how good it feels to hit your goal. Use that feel as inspiration to keep pushing forward if you ever think about giving up. You can do it!
- There’s an app for everything these days -- even fitness! Find an app to help you track your daily steps and activity to really hold yourself accountable. Many apps will keep track of your progress throughout the year so you can see how far you’ve come! It’s also a great way to make sure you add more physical activity into your day.
- Change or reassess your goals, but never give up! When the going gets tough, and you feel that you can’t continue, reassess and make changes before throwing in the towel. If you feel that you have set too high of a goal for yourself, not all is lost! Many people feel that a resolution is an “all-or-nothing” deal. The truth is that you can change your goals at anytime throughout the year. Try cutting your goal in half, or try something different. It’s all okay as long as you don’t give up!
The success rate for New Years resolutions is low, but with these tips you will be setting yourself up for a year of success! Find ways to keep yourself motivated and inspired by including friends and family in your journey. The most important thing is to never give up! When trying to lose weight in the new year, we also highly recommend a natural supplement like Meratrim! Meratrim is a proprietary blend of two plant extracts, Sphaeranthus indicus flower heads and Garcinia mangostana fruit rind, and has been shown in two randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical studies to be safe and effective for weight management as well as waist size management. Good luck with your fitness resolution! You’ve got this!